Friday, April 3, 2009

2 THUMBS & A BUTT PLUG UP FOR MILK!!!

I just finished viewing the dynamic story of Harvey Milk, who was assassinated in San Francisco in 1978. Watching the true account of this man's life and his contribution to the gay population and world in general took me back to the days I, personally, fought for the rights of my brothers and sisters in the Liberation Movement.
I suffered a broken jaw and loss of teeth among other injuries, when I was assaulted by three men following the march against Anita Bryant in New Orleans, while my peers on the West Coast and around this country were also being brutalized. I had been honored at the rally held in Jackson Square earlier that day by given the opportunity to speak briefly prior to an address being made by Leonard Malcovich, the first openly gay military officer.
So much has changed over the years and many take for granted the rights we enjoyed these days. But, I saw firsthand in the Deep South the raids, the arrests, the murders by police of individuals whose only so-called crime was being born lesbian and gay.
On this day, when Iowa has seen fit to uphold same-sex marriage, I wanted to take a moment to thank Harvey Milk and the other courageous pioneers who gave of themselves so we could be free to be.

No comments: